Skip to main content

Day 1 of World Youth Day Pilgrimage 7-25-23

            



           Happy Feast Day of St. James, and welcome to Day 1 of our World Youth Day Blog. Today we began our pilgrimage to Portugal with Mass. The fact that we are celebrating St. James seems appropriate. He is the patron saint of pilgrims and the Santiago de Compostela, the pilgrimage named after him, has been traveled for well over 1,000 years. Going on a pilgrimage is a very ancient tradition and not just in our Catholic faith. There is something deep within our human hearts, that desires to make a journey when a spiritual need arises. In the early years after Christ’s death and resurrection, the first pilgrims would consistently travel to three locations. The site of Jesus Christ’s birth, the location of his crucifixion and the tomb where he was resurrected. Because the first Christians immediately began visiting these sites, we have no doubt that they are the true locations. We humans seek to be connected to our creator and going on pilgrimage to places of religious importance is one tangible way we can connect to God. 

            The late Pope Benedict XVI explains it this way, “To go on pilgrimage is not simply to visit a place to admire its treasures of nature, art or history. To go on pilgrimage really means to step out of ourselves in order to encounter God where he has revealed himself, where his grace has shone with particular splendor and produced rich fruits of conversion and holiness among those who believe.” 


           One of the most exciting parts of our pilgrimage will be to go to Fatima, where Our Lady appeared in 1917 to three young Portuguese children. There we will kneel and pray for all of you who have supported us, who have prayed for us and who have given us specific prayer intentions to lay at the site where the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared.  The personal reasons each of our pilgrims has decided to go to World Youth Day are as varied as the pilgrims themselves. It might be for a specific intention, it might be a penance for a past sin, it could be in thanksgiving for answered prayers or the reason may actually change as the pilgrimage unfolds. Ultimately each pilgrim hopes that the journey taken will lead their heart to a place of greater hope and peace, that can only come from God. Please pray for us as we begin to board our flight and make the final preparations for the first stage of our pilgrimage. You are all very much in our prayers. 🙏🙏

God bless, 

Fr. Tom

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15 of World Youth Day 8-8-23

  Yesterday, Aug 7th ,we concluded our pilgrimage to World Youth Day. We visited the shrine of our lady of Fatima , where our blessed mother appeared to the three Little shepherds, Jacinta, Francisco and Lucia back in 1917.  It was such a huge blessing to go and visited our blessed mother , to thank her for all the graces received thorough this pilgrimage. I know for a fact that she is the reason why I went to this beautiful pilgrimage. For,  I always feel her protection and intersession.  During this trip I had such a beautiful encounter with our Lord at the moment when our Holy Father Pope Francis passed by within a couple of feet away from us All Saints group. There was a flame of fire burning on my heart as Pope Francis was passing by that was filling me with love from head to toe. My  eyes fall into tears for the persona of Christ was so close to me.  I am totally convence that our pope is the successor of Peter , the representer of Christ in our Holy ...

Day 14 of World Youth Day 8-7-23

We're coming home!!  As I reflect on these past two weeks, I am once again so amazed by the goodness of God. Before embarking on this pilgrimage, I had an idea of the personal intentions I wanted to take before the Lord, but I had no idea of the old wounded places in my heart he was going to ask me to revisit. It was hard but even in the hurt, God provided me the grace to see what he was doing. Our loving and merciful Father is a healer. He fixes those who are broken and finds those who are lost. These past two weeks I have been stretched beyond my "breaking point". When my mind, heart, or body felt heavy, I would cry out, "God, I can't do this, please give me strength" and he always did. He still is.  God's timing is so perfect. I am one who runs away when my wounds become too much. But being in a foreign country with the same 25 people, I had nowhere to run to, but to the Father. Each time I encountered Him in prayer with a heavy heart, He was there gi...

Bem-vindos! Five Days Away!

  We are FIVE days away from setting off to Portugal!  World Youth Day is a world wide encounter with the Pope celebrated about every three years in a different country. This event is an opportunity for young adults to personally experience the universality of the Catholic Church, and to share with the whole world the hope of many young people who are committing their lives to Christ. World Youth Day was started by Pope, St. John Paul II and was first held in Rome in 1986. 26 Pilgrims are embarking on this pilgrimage from All Saints University parish. This consists of two priests (Fr. Tom Orlando and Fr. Cesar Martinez), three seminarians (Josue, Patrick, and Saul) and 21 young adults from our community.  It may seem like our pilgrimage begins next Tuesday, but as we’ve been telling our pilgrims, it began when we first said “yes” to God’s invitation to encounter him in this radical way. From accepting our Father’s invitation, we then invited all of you to partake in this ...