Skip to main content

Day 4 of World Youth Day 7-28-23



Bon dia! 

Our time in Portugal has not been very long, but we’ve certainly made the most of it! Our third full day here started with a bus ride to a local monastery. Its name was Batalha, and it’s one of the most beautiful monasteries I’ve been lucky enough to visit. And part of it wasn’t even completely finished!  From there we rode to a small town with a name that meant “place of bears”. There were no bears.

We spent a good while in both locations, and each one felt like we were in a fairytale. And to make a great day even better, we left there to attend mass in the beautiful city of Fatima. The statues, the church, the basilica, and everything else was overwhelming in the truest sense of the word. The number of people walking on their knees along the pathway while praying the rosary let me know I was not alone in this feeling.

To wrap up this blessed day, we held a candlelight procession with the whole town. Walking the streets of Cortes, hearing song and prayer in all different languages, and connecting with people through the faith, was the perfect way to end the day. 

I am very quickly falling in love with this place and its people. 

All the best, 
Grace Etcheverry



Prayer in Cortes




Batalha Monastery 












Mass at Fatima











Rosary & Candlelight Procession 





















 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15 of World Youth Day 8-8-23

  Yesterday, Aug 7th ,we concluded our pilgrimage to World Youth Day. We visited the shrine of our lady of Fatima , where our blessed mother appeared to the three Little shepherds, Jacinta, Francisco and Lucia back in 1917.  It was such a huge blessing to go and visited our blessed mother , to thank her for all the graces received thorough this pilgrimage. I know for a fact that she is the reason why I went to this beautiful pilgrimage. For,  I always feel her protection and intersession.  During this trip I had such a beautiful encounter with our Lord at the moment when our Holy Father Pope Francis passed by within a couple of feet away from us All Saints group. There was a flame of fire burning on my heart as Pope Francis was passing by that was filling me with love from head to toe. My  eyes fall into tears for the persona of Christ was so close to me.  I am totally convence that our pope is the successor of Peter , the representer of Christ in our Holy ...

Day 14 of World Youth Day 8-7-23

We're coming home!!  As I reflect on these past two weeks, I am once again so amazed by the goodness of God. Before embarking on this pilgrimage, I had an idea of the personal intentions I wanted to take before the Lord, but I had no idea of the old wounded places in my heart he was going to ask me to revisit. It was hard but even in the hurt, God provided me the grace to see what he was doing. Our loving and merciful Father is a healer. He fixes those who are broken and finds those who are lost. These past two weeks I have been stretched beyond my "breaking point". When my mind, heart, or body felt heavy, I would cry out, "God, I can't do this, please give me strength" and he always did. He still is.  God's timing is so perfect. I am one who runs away when my wounds become too much. But being in a foreign country with the same 25 people, I had nowhere to run to, but to the Father. Each time I encountered Him in prayer with a heavy heart, He was there gi...

Bem-vindos! Five Days Away!

  We are FIVE days away from setting off to Portugal!  World Youth Day is a world wide encounter with the Pope celebrated about every three years in a different country. This event is an opportunity for young adults to personally experience the universality of the Catholic Church, and to share with the whole world the hope of many young people who are committing their lives to Christ. World Youth Day was started by Pope, St. John Paul II and was first held in Rome in 1986. 26 Pilgrims are embarking on this pilgrimage from All Saints University parish. This consists of two priests (Fr. Tom Orlando and Fr. Cesar Martinez), three seminarians (Josue, Patrick, and Saul) and 21 young adults from our community.  It may seem like our pilgrimage begins next Tuesday, but as we’ve been telling our pilgrims, it began when we first said “yes” to God’s invitation to encounter him in this radical way. From accepting our Father’s invitation, we then invited all of you to partake in this ...