Skip to main content

Day 12 of World Youth Day 8-5-23





         Today we set out for the park where the Saturday Vigil and Closing Mass would be. We began our day with a later wake up time: a rare chance to sleep in and gain back some much needed energy. Little did we know how much we would really need that rest!

After this easy start, Fr. Cesar celebrated Mass in an old Carmelite monastery across the street from our hostel. The monastery is currently being used by Dominican Sisters who care for women with vision impairments. We were especially grateful to them for their hospitality to us today. Fr. Tom preached in his homily about the importance of perseverance, especially since today was the day of our “Big Hike”. Emphasizing today’s Gospel about the beheading of John the Baptist for speaking against Herod, Father told us not to worry about anyone else other than the most important thing, “we don’t need to please anyone except Jesus…He is the one we have to keep in mind”. These words gave me hope during our hike to the site of the Vigil, particularly in the more grueling moments of the 10 mile hike. When we arrived in the late afternoon, all of the pilgrims were tired but expectant: Pope Francis was going to arrive soon!

And when he did arrive, the Holy Father reminded us that we can train and prepare ourselves for certain things, but others must be given to us. “Nothing is free except the love of Christ,” he said, “and that love must be missionary; it must go out to all!” After these encouraging words and some time in Eucharistic Adoration with Jesus, though our bodies were tired and sore, our spirits were prepared for the final Mass on Sunday!!

Patrick Germann 





Mass in Convent


































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15 of World Youth Day 8-8-23

  Yesterday, Aug 7th ,we concluded our pilgrimage to World Youth Day. We visited the shrine of our lady of Fatima , where our blessed mother appeared to the three Little shepherds, Jacinta, Francisco and Lucia back in 1917.  It was such a huge blessing to go and visited our blessed mother , to thank her for all the graces received thorough this pilgrimage. I know for a fact that she is the reason why I went to this beautiful pilgrimage. For,  I always feel her protection and intersession.  During this trip I had such a beautiful encounter with our Lord at the moment when our Holy Father Pope Francis passed by within a couple of feet away from us All Saints group. There was a flame of fire burning on my heart as Pope Francis was passing by that was filling me with love from head to toe. My  eyes fall into tears for the persona of Christ was so close to me.  I am totally convence that our pope is the successor of Peter , the representer of Christ in our Holy ...

Day 14 of World Youth Day 8-7-23

We're coming home!!  As I reflect on these past two weeks, I am once again so amazed by the goodness of God. Before embarking on this pilgrimage, I had an idea of the personal intentions I wanted to take before the Lord, but I had no idea of the old wounded places in my heart he was going to ask me to revisit. It was hard but even in the hurt, God provided me the grace to see what he was doing. Our loving and merciful Father is a healer. He fixes those who are broken and finds those who are lost. These past two weeks I have been stretched beyond my "breaking point". When my mind, heart, or body felt heavy, I would cry out, "God, I can't do this, please give me strength" and he always did. He still is.  God's timing is so perfect. I am one who runs away when my wounds become too much. But being in a foreign country with the same 25 people, I had nowhere to run to, but to the Father. Each time I encountered Him in prayer with a heavy heart, He was there gi...

Bem-vindos! Five Days Away!

  We are FIVE days away from setting off to Portugal!  World Youth Day is a world wide encounter with the Pope celebrated about every three years in a different country. This event is an opportunity for young adults to personally experience the universality of the Catholic Church, and to share with the whole world the hope of many young people who are committing their lives to Christ. World Youth Day was started by Pope, St. John Paul II and was first held in Rome in 1986. 26 Pilgrims are embarking on this pilgrimage from All Saints University parish. This consists of two priests (Fr. Tom Orlando and Fr. Cesar Martinez), three seminarians (Josue, Patrick, and Saul) and 21 young adults from our community.  It may seem like our pilgrimage begins next Tuesday, but as we’ve been telling our pilgrims, it began when we first said “yes” to God’s invitation to encounter him in this radical way. From accepting our Father’s invitation, we then invited all of you to partake in this ...